Capacity Development Webinar on Effective Governance for Transformational Change:
Strengthening capacities, mindsets, and competencies of public institutions to build the next generation of public servants in the Asia-Pacific Region
25 January 2022
12:00 PM - 2:15 PM Seoul (GMT+9)
10:00 AM - 12:15 PM Bangkok (GMT+7)
10:00 PM - 12:15 AM 24 January 2022 New York (GMT-5)
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), through its Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG), in collaboration with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP), is organizing a regional capacity development webinar to launch the Curriculum on Governance for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) (the “Curriculum”) in the Asia-Pacific region. The Offices of UN Resident Coordinators in the region will be invited to provide advice in contextualizing the training material to the national level context. The Curriculum, developed by UN DESA, will be launched through regional events in cooperation with the regional commissions, the UN Resident Coordinator system, and relevant partners.
The webinar aims to raise awareness of methodologies and approaches to strengthen effective governance and public institutions in the Asia and Pacific region. The webinar is also aimed at generating interest in mainstreaming the Curriculum in the trainings of the Schools of Public Administration in the different countries of the Asia and Pacific region.
The Curriculum, which is a holistic and integrated framework, translates the 11 Principles of Effective Governance into practice through capacity development training material on governance and public institutions. It aims to promote critical understanding of sustainable development issues, enhance governance capacity, and strengthen public servants' awareness of their active role in contributing to the achievement of the SDGs. The Curriculum is a comprehensive set of Training of Trainers Capacity Development Toolkits, which contain ready-to-use and customizable training material on key governance dimensions needed to advance the implementation of the SDGs.
The webinar will be conducted in English. It will include an overview presentation of the Curriculum and a brief presentation of each Toolkit. The presentations will be followed by a panel discussion and an open discussion/Q&A session.
- Overview Introduction of the Curriculum by Ms. Adriana Alberti, Chief, Programme Management and Capacity Development Unit, DPIDG/UN DESA
- Brief Journey through the Toolkits by Ms. Adriana Alberti, Chief, Programme Management and Capacity Development Unit, DPIDG/UN DESA and Mr. Bokyun Shim, Head of UN Project Office on Governance (UNPOG), UN DESA/DPIDG
- Panel Discussion
- Ms. Yamini Aiyar, Member, UN Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA); President and Chief Executive, Centre for Policy Research, India
- Prof. Jiannan Wu, Chair Professor, Dean, School of International and Public Affairs, Shanghai Jiao Tong University; President, Asian Association for Public Administration (AAPA)
- Dr. Jae Ho Eun, Senior Research Fellow, Korea Institute of Public Administration (KIPA)
- Prof. Alex Brillantes Jr, Secretary-General, Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration; Professor, National College of Public Administration and Governance, University of the Philippines
- Ms. Hitomi Rankine, Environmental Affairs Officer, Environment and Development Policy Section, Environment and Development Division, UN ESCAP
For Substantive Matters:
- Adriana Alberti, Chief, Programme Management and Capacity Development and Unit, DPIDG/UN DESA, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bokyun Shim, Head of Office, UNPOG, DPIDG/UN DESA, email@example.com
- Mi Kyoung Park, Governance and Public Administration Officer, UNPOG/DPIDG/UN DESA, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Administrative Matters: